Filed In: Fashion
It’s no secret: I have a uniform — and it includes a few expensive pieces. Clearly, I don’t mind splurging occasionally. But what I haven’t highlighted is that my closet also contains just as many low-end pieces. If I’m wearing an eye-catching bag, no one notices that it’s paired with a Nordstrom juniors top. It’s all about finding the right mix of high and low end.
Here are some of my favorite splurges — and ideas to get the look for less:
What are your favorite splurges versus save items?
Maybe it’s the eternally grey skies, but every winter, I fall in love with a new bright purse. So, as I was shopping for a new iPhone case earlier this week, I naturally became obsessed with this wristlet (and every other Kate Spade bag in that color). (Side note: of course, the iPhone case I bought on Tuesday broke on Wednesday, so I will be tempted by the bright purses in person again soon!) Since then I’ve been seeing the color pop up everywhere! Here are a few of my favorite “poppy” things:
1. Clutch // 2. Top // 3. iPhone Case // 4. Dress // 5. Nars Stick (love this when I want pop of color on my lips or cheeks!) // 6. Sweatshirt // 7. Blouse / Cardigan // 8. Dress // 9. Top // 10. Boots
What color are you loving this winter?
Now that arctic temperatures have set in (it’s literally warmer in Antarctica than in Chicago!), I’m pretty much wearing my warmest, most comfortable clothes every day. Here are the winter essentials I can’t live without:
1. I only wear this parka when it’s 20 degrees or colder (or I start to sweat), but I don’t know what I’d do without it when it gets to negative temps!
2. I am constantly putting on and taking off layers, so I’ve been living in hoodies like this one.
6. It’s impossible to find boots in January (when you actually need them), so I’m keeping these in mind for next year.
7. Since I’m always in boots, I also wear skinny pants all winter. These are my favorites.
8. Now that it seems to snow almost every day, I’ve switched from a tote to a waterproof bag similar to this one.
What are your winter must-haves?
I am the first to admit that I’ve developed a uniform: a black or white shirt, jeans and a bright necklace or scarf. This winter, I’m still wearing the same black tank top I wore all summer — just layered with various bright cardigans. As I’ve gotten older, I’ve realized that it’s much easier to get ready every morning ready when everything in my closet coordinates with everything else. So, while I still have WAY too many clothes, there are really only a handful of items I wear all the time.
Long story short, I’m trying to focus on only buying key pieces that I know I’ll wear for years, so I thought I’d share ten staples that I’ll be wearing the next few weeks — and the rest of the winter!